Finally getting around to tasting this one. My exploration of black tea has so far been pretty positive. I didn’t know I could like it, but I’m so glad I’ve been trying them out. I’ve learned a lot about my likes, and I’ve grown to appreciate black tea – not all black tea is bitter tea, and not all astringency is bitterness! This one is another win in the black tea category.

The smell of this one reminds me of sweet potato or yam, with some honey notes, and a slight hint of cacao. This is definitely a savory smelling tea. Bake-y, earthy, and slightly sweet.

I’m definitely getting the bready/baked notes in the taste, as well as some of that sweet potato-y aspect. I’m picking up slight sweet fruit notes throughout- citrus fruits, like lemon. There is also a cacao taste, most present at the back of the sip. A malty taste runs throughout. In the middle somewhere is where the tobacco taste comes through. It’s fresh, earthy, and subtly sweet. Pretty smooth mouthfeel in this cuppa, too!

Other flavors I’m picking up in subtle amounts:
Honey
Brown sugar
Yeast
Astringency (only very slight amounts – adds more of a spice than any bitterness)

I’m really enjoying this one. It’s different from any black tea I’ve had so far. I mean, tobacco notes? That’s pretty unique! I like the savory profile here. Can’t wait to try the regular Premium Taiwanese Assam and see how it compares/differs.

the two really are two totally different and unique teas in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing how they stack up for you

Emily M

That’s what I’ve heard. =)
I’ll definitely be treating them as two seperate teas if they’re that unique – no point in comparing apples to oranges.

i like the regular version just a little more than the upgraded version, which is fine by me haha

Chizakura

They’re both wonderful. This one’s thicker and fuller I find, but the other one’s sweeter with cocoa and raisin notes. :)

Yum! Raisin!

Comments

Emily M

That’s what I’ve heard. =)

Chizakura

Yum! Raisin!

I’ve found I Prefer:

Oolong Teas
White Teas
Smooth Black Teas
Flavored White Teas
Flavored Black Teas (depending on the base tea)
Flavored Oolong Teas
Pu-erh’s
Certain Herbals/Tisanes

I’ve found I Dislike:

Bitterness/Astringent Teas
Strong Floral Teas
Fruit Tisanes (at least hot)

That being said, I’ll give anything a shot!

Happy steeping!