drank Mango Shade by Silk Road

This tea is so fragrant I actually breathed in the leaves and choked on them in the store, after a few giggles of embarassment I filled a small tin and wisked this one home for a taste test.

After following the directions for Black teas from Silk Roads I decided this time to steep the tea as little as possible and see what happens. The tea had a deep amber colour and the scent of fresh mangoes were intense enough to allude to enjoyable sipping… Not so much, I am starting to think that either a) I don’t like black teas or b) I just don’t like them from Silk Roads…

Here’s hoping it is “a” and not “b”

Uniquity

I usually steep black teas for 3.5 to 3 minutes…and keep a pretty close eye on them. Many companies seem to recommend 4 to 5 minutes, but I find that makes them bitter and “burnt”…Hope you find some to enjoy!

MaddHatter

Uniquity, I actually did a little research on properly steeping tea and learned that a) I was pressing down on the bodum too fast, b) the water was too hot (who knew the kettle should rest a few minutes after a hard boil?!) and c) I was using far too much tea. With my newly procured knowledge I can’t wait to try this one again.

Uniquity

Excellent news! (Not that you were “doing it wrong” but that you’ve found a new way to try it out :D)

MaddHatter

L, that post was made after watching the “You’re doing it wrong” video on chow.com about preparing tea… doot-dah-doo… ;)

Comments

Uniquity

MaddHatter

I love to read and what goes better with reading than a hot cup of tea on rainy winter nights and an ice-cold tea on a hot summers day?

I used to drink copious amounts of coffee but that was just a joke, because I never drank enough water to flush out that one cup of coffee (32oz of water to 8oz of coffee?!?) and the variety in tea gives me what I need – it is not often I will drink the same thing twice.

Tea is defiantly more gentle on the waistline… Espcially since when I crave apple pie I can reach for a cup of “Mom’s Apple pie” or if I want caramel corn for my movie night, I just have to brew a cup of “Movie Night”…

I definitely have a preference for Oolongs, flavoured Blacks and a select number of flavoured Rooibos.

I love you tea, this can only get better as the extra weight continues to tapper off!

Oh, did I mention I am a reader, a childcare worker, a teacher, a friend, a sister and so many other things in a day?

Victoria, B.C.