drank Caramel Spice by DAVIDsTEA

This is another autumn tea from David’s Tea. The dry tea smells amazing. You can smell the orange peel, but it’s not a purely fruity smell, probably because of the Saigon cinnamon. Once steeped, the first thing I do, before even touching my drink, is pick out the mulberries from the steeped tea. Unconventional, maybe. But they are so delicious that throwing them out would be a sin. I had never tasted mulberries before picking them out of this tea, and now I’m hooked. They aren’t tart like a lot of other berries, and they soak up the tea so they’re just about bursting with flavour.

But I digress, the tea is now steeped. It still smells just as sweet, and is a very dark, but clear brown. Unfortunately, I find it to be lacking a little in flavour. After taking a sip, I taste a bit of orange and mulberry on the back of my tongue, and hints of mulberry and cinnamon definitely linger. Regardless, it isn’t as full a flavour as I had hoped, and I couldn’t taste caramel at all.

I’m trying to decrease my use of sugar and honey in tea, but I’ll sweeten this a little. It makes a bit of a difference, the tea tastes a little fuller now. I can actually taste the cinnamon before I’ve swallowed the tea, but the aftertaste isn’t ideal. The mulberries are already naturally sweet and I find that the sugar makes it all a little overpowering.

I’m not sure if I’ll buy this tea again. As far as scent goes, it’s definitely at the top of my list. And the mulberries are a huge plus. But the tea is lacking taste without sweetener, and gets overpowered with sweetener. Unfortunate, since I really do love mulberries.

I’m an international business student who’s passionate about so many things, too many things. My most recent obsession is tea, and I can tell this one’s for the long-term. I love experimenting and I’m eager to learn as much as I can about tea. Excited to be on this journey!

Canada