I’ve had a couple of unsuccessful attempts preparing this with milk. Lupicia’s instructions are simple: put matcha in cup, put milk in cup, stir, heat, and stir some more. Every time, it’s left the tea rather clumpy and it separates pretty quickly from the milk. Bleah.

So I tried it with just hot water today. It worked out…decently. Something about the milk really brings the flavor of the strawberries out. When I drank the tea as prepared today, it was green and slightly bitter up until I swallowed, after which there was a hint of a strawberry aftertaste. That was a little disappointing, because it is a LOT easier to prepare with hot water.

Maybe I’ll try mixing the tea with water and the blending milk in? I don’t know. I haven’t given up on Strawberry Matcha au Lait, but it definitely isn’t working yet.

LiberTEAS

I haven’t tried this particular tea… so I feel weird giving suggestions… but are you using a whisk to stir it or just a spoon or other utensil? A whisk might be more effective… and I would also try heating the milk first, and then adding it to the mix.

Suzi

I’m using a bamboo whisk, similar to this one: http://www.lupiciausa.com/product_p/45101201.htm

LiberTEAS

yes, that is what I meant by a whisk. :) It is the best way to mix Matcha. I don’t know what else to recommend, other than to try heating the milk first, before adding it to the Matcha, and maybe adding a little bit… and then whisking, and then adding a little more and whisking again… I don’t know if it will help… but I’m curious to know, because I fully intend on trying this Matcha sometime soon.

Suzi

I’ll mess around with it more this weekend, so I’m sure you’ll see updates here :D Would the amount of fat in the milk make any difference, do you think?

LiberTEAS

I don’t know. I use 2% for my latte mixes and this works well for me.

Cofftea

Suzi, I use Fat Free Smart Balance milk for my slimfast matcha “smoothies” (I actually just made one) and while it does not have the fat content of 2% milk, it has the thickness of 2% milk… so I think it has more to do w/ the consistancy of the milk than the fat content.

Comments

LiberTEAS

LiberTEAS

I don’t know. I use 2% for my latte mixes and this works well for me.

Cofftea

I love books on tea, but not tea on books.

California