drank Irish Breakfast by Twinings

The nostalgia… it’s unbearable.

So it began around age fourteen. I had this obsession for tea in a house full of coffee lovers. I was still unable to purchase things online for myself (and even then, I had no knowledge of what tea retailers were sought after), so I fueled my love and desire with grocery store bought Twinings and Tazo.

This became a favorite in its bagged incarnation alongside Twinings Earl Grey and Prince of Wales.

The last time I tried this tea was a good four or five years ago when stopped keeping up with my tea rituals, until it was at a Teavana in Chicago where my passion for tea was reignited.

Oh. Yes, this is about the tea. Right.

I realized I had two bags of this left in the back of my cupboard and I thought, “I’m feeling adventurous. Why not?”

So I steeped this in my glass teapot. I watched it turn a gloriously deep red color… which surprised me (mostly because I’d never seen it directly through glass before).

The smell was just as malty and deep as I remember it.

And… there it is. That hint of astringency and the ever present malty flavor. I just wish it wasn’t as flat as it is. Why doesn’t it taste as deep as it smells?

I’m thinking that perhaps the loose version is a better incarnation of this tea. Sadly I suppose I don’t like it as much as I used to, now that I’m comparing it to other teas.

Bagged Irish Breakfast, we had happy memories.

I’m not one for introductions…

I’m a studying musicologist, cellist, and sometimes I’ll sketch a thing or two.

Tea and I first met in the form of a stale Chamomile bag on a cold and dreary night. It was a humble (not to mention tasteless) beginning, but it was a beginning nonetheless.

My affinity for the Victorian tradition of tea lead me to Twinnings which then led me to Teavana, which led me to perhaps my most favorite (living) musician. Yes… well, it’s not really a logical story…

Anyways, I’m here now, realizing that there’s way more to tea than I’d ever knew, and more than I’ll probably ever know.

Meet you all at 4 o’Clock…

WF120-A, in the windmills of my mind…