drank Cotton Candy Black Tea by 52teas

I’m having cotton candy for breakfast. Or at least I’m trying to pretend that I am.

My package unexpectedly arrived yesterday and this went straight into my iced tea jug to cold steep overnight. I must say that the lovely black tea base is definitely an appealing Darjeeling. But honestly, dry, this little concoction smells more floral than candy-ish.

The smell of the steeped tea is very faint too. Basically like a sweetened Darjeeling. I’m already on to my second glass of this and so far, and just like its smell, it tastes like a vaguely sweet black tea. But just like how perfumes need a bit of aging and soaps need a bit of curing perhaps I should let this gel for a little while longer and try make another jug of this in a few days? I’m also curious as to how a cotton candy tea would taste hot.

For now I’m going to rate it based on these initial impressions but if/when I come back to this tea next week and reevaluate it, let’s hope the rating will go up!

Iced
52teas

I think you might enjoy this more steeped in near- to boiling water for 3-4 minutes and then chilled/served over ice.

Fjellrev

Thanks, Frank! I’ll try that next. I’m definitely not giving up yet.

Azzrian

I have tried it may ways – almost used up my whole bag :( I love it all ways but I have found it tastes best (to me) when it is steeped then allowed to cool a bit. Cold brew is great, hot is great but for some reason the flavors for me come to their climax when still warmish but yet cool after a regular steep. Yeah that made perfect sense right? :)

Fjellrev

Haha it does. I just tried some hot, let it cool down, had some more, and will put the rest of the pot in the fridge for a cold version later. You’re right. I think so far, the best is when it has cooled down to a sort of lukewarm temperature. Tastes a little candy-ish then.

And if you’d like more, I noticed that Frank has revived it. There are 15 left at the moment. :)

Comments

52teas

Fjellrev

Thanks, Frank! I’ll try that next. I’m definitely not giving up yet.

Azzrian