drank Matcha Maker by Good Earth

I need to learn to buy tea based on its ingredient list rather than the front of the box… this tea’s name and the blurb on the front make it sound like it’s a matcha (or at least a generic green tea that includes matcha) with orange flavoring, when in fact it’s more of a green/herbs/flavors blend with a hint of matcha near the end of the ingredient list. At least it was only a few dollars.

It smells… weird. Not much like tea, I think it’s the combination of licorice and chamomile that contribute the most to the scent, making it reminiscent of those herbal blends that are sold as something to drink when you’re sick. Only weirder, I’m not sure how else to describe it because it’s not entirely like any other tea I’ve had before. It tastes more or less like it smells, only way sweeter than I’m used to — must be the stevia! I wish this wasn’t pre-sweetened, I don’t think the flavor combo works with this high level of sweetness.

That said, I find this tea pretty drinkable, I suppose the strangeness gives it an unexpected charm. I wouldn’t buy it again or recommend it, but I’ll finish it.

(And no, it doesn’t taste like matcha.)

Quick summary of ratings:

90s: Outstanding, I always want to have some of this on hand (though I really can’t afford having all of my favorite all of the time, haha)!
80s: Very good, there are some minor improvements I would make but overall I love it.
70s: Good, I might buy myself more of this someday but it’s not a priority.
60s: All right, I’m glad I got to give this a try but when it’s gone it’s gone.
50s: Not so great, I can drink this when I just really want tea.
40s and below: Various levels of dislike to hate. It just depends on how gross I think it is.

USA