drank Birthday Tea by Adagio Teas

I got this as a belated free birthday sample (I made an order near my birthday, didn’t get it as I thought I might, and emailed Adagio to find out that my birthday wasn’t added to my account! It became a free black friday sample.)

Adagio’s flavored blacks are pretty hit and miss for me, and this one is pretty middle of the road. It smells nice, both the dry leaf and the liquor — reminiscent of cake, or at least a cheap cake you could buy at a grocery store. I sweetened it almost instantly as it’s a double whammy of dessert tea and flavored Adagio black, which both tend to need sweetener in my mind. Once it cools down a bit… pretty nice. It’s just what it says on the tin: generic black tea with sweet vanilla and caramel with no real frills or complexities beyond the faint taste of sprinkles. Add a splash of milk, and the caramel stands out much more… but the tea taste is covered up, which might appeal to a tea newbie but is only a con to me.

Not recommended, but I’ll drink the rest of this sample.

Quick summary of ratings:

90s: Outstanding, I always want to have some of this on hand (though I really can’t afford having all of my favorite all of the time, haha)!
80s: Very good, there are some minor improvements I would make but overall I love it.
70s: Good, I might buy myself more of this someday but it’s not a priority.
60s: All right, I’m glad I got to give this a try but when it’s gone it’s gone.
50s: Not so great, I can drink this when I just really want tea.
40s and below: Various levels of dislike to hate. It just depends on how gross I think it is.

USA