drank Pistachio Matcha by Red Leaf Tea

I love pistachios. Maybe a little too much. They are easily my favorite nut and I have to be really careful when I buy a bag of them because they can get be gone before I know it. Luckily they are pricey, so that helps keep things down. Also, I’m a fan of the raw shelled pistachios, so those are even harder to find.

So, when I saw this flavor of matcha, I was excited to try it. How would it compare to pistachios themselves? I got this with Robust level of flavoring and prepared this in a water bottle with chilled water. I used 1/2 teaspoon of matcha to 16 oz. of water.

This matcha has a very interesting taste, but I don’t know if it’s really true to the pistachio flavor. I think, as another reviewer mentioned, it’s more like pistachio flavoring in ice cream and what not. I’m not really getting the true-to-nut taste that I was hoping for. It’s not a bad tasting matcha, but it won’t satisfy my cravings for pistachio.

I gave my boyfriend a blind taste test and asked him what it tasted like. At first he didn’t what to say, but then he said “it’s kind of got a spice to it.” There’s definitely some spice in there as well. I’m just hesitant to recommend this to a pistachio lover like myself because the flavor just isn’t there like I was hoping. I think people who like pistachio flavored things (which I rarely have) will be more satisfied.

You can buy the matcha here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/pistachio-matcha.html

Rachel Sincere

I used to eat pistachios like they were free. Then I ate one that looked funny inside, and it tasted gross. Then I got another one like it and I looked at it more carefully and realized it had a MOTH inside. EEEEeeuuuggghhhh. I have never eaten another pistachio.

TeaBrat

@Rachel – ewwwww

Dinosara

Yeah, I’m the opposite: I don’t really like the nut, but I love pistachio flavored things, so this one works for me!

Rachel Sincere

Totally ewwwwww. And the moral of the story is, don’t eat a funny-looking pistachio. Or just stick to the matcha. :-D

Babble

Rachel – I had a similar experience with eggnog and now I can’t touch the stuff, so I can relate.

Dionsara – Interesting how you don’t like pistachios. I find them delicious, although a pain to deshell.

Lynxiebrat

I love both pistachios and pistachio flavored things, so I would love to give this a shot.

Comments

Rachel Sincere

TeaBrat

@Rachel – ewwwww

Dinosara

Babble

Lynxiebrat

So the short story is, a few years ago I was VERY MUCH into tea. And then a lot of things happened, and I got out of tea for a while. And now, I’m back.

To me, tea is the missing puzzle piece for my healthy lifestyle. When I drink tea I am encouraged to eat healthy and be active. I drink tea because I simply enjoy the taste, but the health aspects are just an added bonus.

I love all types of teas, although greens and oolongs tend to be my favorite. I also love a good herbal.

Unless otherwise stated, I drink my teas straight. To brew I either use my ingenuiTEA or T-Sac (for teas that don’t expand much). One of these days I might break down and buy a Breville, but I’m trying to resist..

I’m kinda strict when rating my teas. I rarely give a tea above a 95. Teas that I really like I keep in the 95-85 category. I’ve yet to give a tea 100 yet. So, if you see a tea about 95, that means I thought it was an amazing tea!

Florida, United States