drank Liver Detox by Dr. Stuart

I’m in Austin this week visiting my friend. Today we went to Central Market, which is a nice-sized grocery store. The tea selection there was AMAZING!! They had at least 50 bins of loose tea – mostly from Rishi and Republic of Tea. And they had lots of packaged tea as well, a lot I had never heard of – like this brand.

I was really hankering for a peppermint tea (because of my ongoing bloated issues) and I saw this brand and type. The first ingredient is peppermint, but there were a lot of other ingredients too. I should have reconsidered when I saw Licorice Root on the list too, but I didn’t.

When I steeped this tea, I was hoping for some yummy peppermint tea with “accents” of other herbs. But what I got was mostly licorice root. Ick. This must be a very detoxifying herb because it’s in a lot of detox teas. My second steeping was less licorice-y and more peppermint-y, which was better, but who wants to do two steepings just to get the taste they like.

All in all, this tea was underwhelming. I was really hoping for more with all the crazy ingredients.

My favorite tasting detox tea is still the Yogi Peach Detox, even though I don’t think that has any peppermint in it at all.

Bonnie

A caution. If you have any trouble with rooibos or honeybush then stay away from licorice too. They are in the same family which is nightshade. This can upset your stomach and intestines if you have nightshade allergies (which I do). Look up the list online if you think these foods might be bothering you since this is a common allergy family.

Kittenna

Psssst, rooibos/honeybush/licorice are in the legume family :) Nightshade is eggplant/tomato/potato, etc. IIRC you’re allergic to both though, Bonnie?

Comments

Bonnie

Kittenna

So the short story is, a few years ago I was VERY MUCH into tea. And then a lot of things happened, and I got out of tea for a while. And now, I’m back.

To me, tea is the missing puzzle piece for my healthy lifestyle. When I drink tea I am encouraged to eat healthy and be active. I drink tea because I simply enjoy the taste, but the health aspects are just an added bonus.

I love all types of teas, although greens and oolongs tend to be my favorite. I also love a good herbal.

Unless otherwise stated, I drink my teas straight. To brew I either use my ingenuiTEA or T-Sac (for teas that don’t expand much). One of these days I might break down and buy a Breville, but I’m trying to resist..

I’m kinda strict when rating my teas. I rarely give a tea above a 95. Teas that I really like I keep in the 95-85 category. I’ve yet to give a tea 100 yet. So, if you see a tea about 95, that means I thought it was an amazing tea!

Florida, United States