I’ve been curious to try a violet tea ever since I joined Steepster and realized they existed, and I’m very grateful to Dustin for letting me sample this one! It does, as Dustin says, taste like violet candies, which is about what I expected. And I like violet candies pretty well—not all the time, but once in a while. The violet is strong, but not too strong and perfume-like. I’m just not sure that the base works very well with the intense floral, though—it’s sort of malty and almost chocolatey, and it makes for a weird combination with violet. I think something lighter—some delicate green, or maybe even a white (though I’m not generally fond of those) or a green oolong (same, although Butiki’s lamented Rose Violet Calendula Oolong was wonderful)—would have worked better for me. I’m enjoying my cup pretty well, but I can’t quite get past the discordant notes I’m picking up on.

Likes: greens, dark oolongs, genmaicha, fruity greens and oolongs, chai, matcha, jasmine, Assam, Ceylon, Darjeeling

Dislikes: spearmint, chamomile, stevia, marshmallows, unflavored white teas, green oolongs

I’m always open to swaps; let me know if you’re interested!

New York, NY