This was the very first loose leaf tea I ever tried. I’ve since expanded my collection, but this still might be my favorite black tea. The leaves are mostly dark but there’s some gold color here and there. Already, the leaves give off a really sweet, fresh scent. It’s a fresh, grainy, almost woodsy smell that hit me in the face as soon as I opened the package. It steeps to a reddish, coppery color. Any darker than that, and you’ve steeped it for too long.

The cup is DELICIOUS. There’s absolutely no pungency, or no bitterness. It’s got a great deal of natural grainy sweetness, and it would be a shame to add milk or sugar to this IMO. It’s full bodied without being too strong.

…So yeah, this tea kind of got me into loose-leaf tea. The amazing flavor you get from the leaves alone, with absolutely no additives keeps me coming back to bai lin.

Thomas Smith

Lucky first loose tea!

Comments

Thomas Smith

Lucky first loose tea!

I’m a college student double majoring in biology and theology. Located in New York City. I’m in the middle of the purgatory that is applying to med school, so I guess this is the relaxing new hobby I’ve found to keep myself sane. This, and biking.

Relatively new to tea, and partial to black and white teas, though I’m dying to try some Oolongs or Pu-erhs soon.

I’m not sure how I got started with loose leaf tea in the first place, but I’m keeping with it because I’m fascinated with the huge diversity of flavors and tastes coming from the same plant.

I don’t care for the supposed health benefits of tea, but it provides the right amount of caffeine to get my mind focused without the jitters.

My rating system is nothing fancy. I basically follow the little faces on the scale :)

Bronx, New York