90

Golden Monkey is a tippy tea, which means that its leaves are a mixture of 75% dark brown leaves and about 25% golden tips and buds. Its aromas are light and sweet, with hints of apricot, nut, and a subtle touch of rose. The flavor of this delightful tea is that of cooked stone fruit, specifically baked apricots, and semisweet chocolate, with a nutty finish.
This is a fairly new Chinese export, which has attracted an almost “cult-like” following amongst tea drinkers. Unlike other Chinese teas, the name Golden Monkey literally has no meaning. However, the word “monkey” is meant to suggest high-quality.
Golden Monkey comes from the norther Fujian province in China and is processed similarly to Panyong Congou. The tea is harvested when the tips are as large as possible, without having developed into whole leaves. The tips are sweet, as the extra sugars are meant to help the bud grow into a full leaf. With more tips, the tea is sweeter but has less body.

Preparation
205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec

Login or sign up to leave a comment.

People who liked this

Login or sign up to leave a comment.

Profile

Bio

The tasting room and retail staff of Harney & Sons love sharing their thoughts about tea. Join us at the shop sometime for a cup, or post a comment!

Location

Millerton, NY

Website

http://www.harney.com

Following These People