drank Read My Lips by DAVIDsTEA

I’ve been waiting for the right time to give this sample from ShayneBear a try. Today seemed like the right day. Even though it is lovely outside, inside, I feel congestion and sinus pressure, and I am sneezing. I also woke up to a sore throat. So I figured the peppercorns and peppermint would be good for my congestion and sinus issues, the black tea would help me stay conscious so I can go out to do an errand or two downtown, and the chocolate and candy cane lips are purely for my emotional well being. :P

So I like this tea!! I don’t know why I waited so long to try it. Perhaps it is because of the mint, because I admit I am very picky about mint in my teas. I know this is one of the signature teas they have at DAVIDs, and it is included in just about every sample collection…ha!!

The mint and chocolate do balance very nicely, and I do feel a little tingle on my tongue that can only be from the peppercorns. Everything seems well balanced here, and I am enjoying this cuppa with milk and sugar, which is extra comforting to me. I’m grateful for the generous sample of this. YAY!

I’m probably gonna re-steep the leaves for a second batch for my Timolino or kids mug, get dressed, and head downtown for those few errands while it is nice out.

Fjellrev

That sucks about the allergies! I’ve been experiencing them too since moving to Vic, but I have a feeling it’s because of the mold in my apartment. I had a fever for weeks near the end of the school year, sore throat, itchy eyes, fatigue etc. It sucks because sometimes you don’t know if you’re getting sick. Hope you won’t!

Amariel

I know, I have been plagued with the “Am I sick or is it just allergies” question for a long time. I technically don’t have allergies. I was tested a few years ago, and nothing came up. They told me I have non-allergic rhinitis, which acts like allergies, but isn’t caused the same way, and isn’t treated the same way. Antihistamines don’t generally work because my reactions aren’t histamine based, they are nasal irritations. So the only antihistamines I can take are the old school “knock you out cold for several hours” kind because they are drying. Yay?

But I have been around people that have been sick, so it’s anyone’s guess now.

Fjellrev

Weird, I never heard of that before, but that makes sense, experiencing irritations. I’ve been using Benadryl but it makes me super drowsy too so at that point you think ok, fine, might as well only take it at night, which really doesn’t help you during the day.

Amariel

Basically, the nose gets irritated from environmental stuff, say pollen or dust (also environmental changes), the nose swells up and creates mucous and you end up stuffy, or with a runny nose or whatever. It’s not a histamine reaction though. It acts like allergies though.

Comments

Fjellrev

Amariel

But I have been around people that have been sick, so it’s anyone’s guess now.

Amariel

I generally like a lot of tea. I do find I have a preference for flavored over unflavoured, but I do love a good straight tea as well.

Likes are too hard, since there are a lot. Dislikes are easier, so here they are.

Hibiscus. Blech. I can tolerate a little, depending on the brew, like Berry Good from Davids and Ruby Pie from Butiki…but in general, it’s too tart and too strong for me.

Licorice. Anything that remotely resembles licorice is out too, so that includes fennel and anise. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Florals. I’m cool with petals in the tea to make them look pretty, and I’m cool with teas like oolongs having a floral note, but strong florals can give me migraines. Rose and jasmine are the biggest offenders. This is one where it can vary on the blend, as I can handle Teavivre’s Peach Jasmine Dragon Pearl tea because there is very little jasmine actually detectable in it.

Rooibos is hit or miss. I can do some, but not others. I handle green better than red, and honeybush better than rooibos.

Um, I have an extensive wishlist. It is both a list of things I want to get again, and things I want to try. If you are sending me something, and you want to know which is which, I’ll tell you via PM.

My ratings don’t have a particular scale or method, and may on occasion contradict themselves, but I’m honestly not fussed about that. Sometimes I don’t even rate at all.

Uh, guess that’s it.