A hit for me from 52Teas! (finally!)

I made Magic Lemon Blueberry Pie yesterday for Canada Day, and the recipe calls for 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk. In the states you can buy a can of that amount, but here in Canada, it is about 10 oz, so I had to get 2 cans and have some left over. After DAVIDs Hong Kong Milk Tea tasting, I opted to try some sweetened condensed milk inmy tea, and I tried it in this one, and it was a hit.

I got creamy, I got pumpkin spice-y, and maybe a bit of crust. I don’t know how much or how little the sweetened condensed milk played a role, but it was certainly tasty, and since I am out of regular milk, this works in a pinch.

Thanks to sil for providing me with this sample.

Lilysmom

Do you by any chance know how long sweetened condensed milk stays good in the fridge? I bought some about 2 weeks ago, thinking I would try to make that DT milk tea recipe….I opened it….didn’t use it….and poured it into a sealed Tupperware thing…..there was no " best before " date on the tin….,I don’t know if I should dump it or if it would still be ok to use……

OMGsrsly

Mine’s about 3 weeks old, and still going. There’s so much sugar in it, it feels like it could last forever. I do use it every couple days, so if I complain of food poisoning…

Lilysmom

Awesome – you are officially be the condensed milk tester! (Taking one for the team!) when you start to feel a little queasy, let me know and I will give mine the pitch!

OMGsrsly

LOL. I think it’ll be fine up to a month in my very cold fridge. After that I’m going to toss it. Google says up to 3 weeks.

Comments

Lilysmom

OMGsrsly

I generally like a lot of tea. I do find I have a preference for flavored over unflavoured, but I do love a good straight tea as well.

Likes are too hard, since there are a lot. Dislikes are easier, so here they are.

Hibiscus. Blech. I can tolerate a little, depending on the brew, like Berry Good from Davids and Ruby Pie from Butiki…but in general, it’s too tart and too strong for me.

Licorice. Anything that remotely resembles licorice is out too, so that includes fennel and anise. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Florals. I’m cool with petals in the tea to make them look pretty, and I’m cool with teas like oolongs having a floral note, but strong florals can give me migraines. Rose and jasmine are the biggest offenders. This is one where it can vary on the blend, as I can handle Teavivre’s Peach Jasmine Dragon Pearl tea because there is very little jasmine actually detectable in it.

Rooibos is hit or miss. I can do some, but not others. I handle green better than red, and honeybush better than rooibos.

Um, I have an extensive wishlist. It is both a list of things I want to get again, and things I want to try. If you are sending me something, and you want to know which is which, I’ll tell you via PM.

My ratings don’t have a particular scale or method, and may on occasion contradict themselves, but I’m honestly not fussed about that. Sometimes I don’t even rate at all.

Uh, guess that’s it.