Interesting how my first logging of this tea was on a day that I awoke with a headache and congestion, and now today, this is the tea that I have selected for the very same reasons. I opted not to take conventional medicine and have this as one of the ingredients in the otc medication for my headaches is caffeine, and I thought this would be a better tasting way to treat my head issues.

I was reminded of this tea, and the sweet potato and raisin flavour notes that another reviewer noted, and I reread the reviews which all pretty consistently and conclusively list sweet potato or orange and sweet potato notes…and well, that all sounds good, though I’ve never thought of comparing tea tastes to that of sweet potatoes or raisins.

Dry leaves…in the package they are beautiful and golden, and as some have said, fuzzy. I took in as deep a breath as I could muster with the congestion and sniffed as much as I could. They smelled sweet and fragrant, and rich but delicate.

Brewed…I did my best to try to taste the sweet potato notes in this tea, and I think that having that expectation to look for, I found it, at the back of my mouth, as I finished my sip, but I wouldn’t have had the foggiest idea what that was otherwise. There is a bit of tartness, which could be what some are saying is orange or citrus.

The overall flavor is light and delicate, but earthy and warm, and a bit complex. I can sense a roasty/toasty essence which may be malty on the tongue, with a sweet-ish aftertaste.

I have raised my rating on this tea. I used water just before it was at a full boil, with one scoop of leaves in my bamboo spoon, and about 4/5 full of water in my steeper…I did not measure out specifically, I just poured it in over the leaves.

I have one last serving of this. For a straight black tea, I like it. I may have to explore more yunnans.

TheTeaFairy

I have place an order for this tea last week, can’t wait to get it! Sweet patato, really?? I find it so intriguing… hope it helped a bit for your headache :)

Comments

TheTeaFairy

I generally like a lot of tea. I do find I have a preference for flavored over unflavoured, but I do love a good straight tea as well.

Likes are too hard, since there are a lot. Dislikes are easier, so here they are.

Hibiscus. Blech. I can tolerate a little, depending on the brew, like Berry Good from Davids and Ruby Pie from Butiki…but in general, it’s too tart and too strong for me.

Licorice. Anything that remotely resembles licorice is out too, so that includes fennel and anise. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Florals. I’m cool with petals in the tea to make them look pretty, and I’m cool with teas like oolongs having a floral note, but strong florals can give me migraines. Rose and jasmine are the biggest offenders. This is one where it can vary on the blend, as I can handle Teavivre’s Peach Jasmine Dragon Pearl tea because there is very little jasmine actually detectable in it.

Rooibos is hit or miss. I can do some, but not others. I handle green better than red, and honeybush better than rooibos.

Um, I have an extensive wishlist. It is both a list of things I want to get again, and things I want to try. If you are sending me something, and you want to know which is which, I’ll tell you via PM.

My ratings don’t have a particular scale or method, and may on occasion contradict themselves, but I’m honestly not fussed about that. Sometimes I don’t even rate at all.

Uh, guess that’s it.