dry – smells like butter and syrup
while brewing – that bready note comes in and really does remind me of pancakes on the griddle :-)
steeped – gorgeous color like dark maple syrup, and still smells like pancakes! Can smell the black tea base too. Surprisingly, I’m getting a bit of bitterness like it’s overbrewed at only 3 min :( It does remind me a bit of the crispy edges of a slightly overdone pancake. I added 1/4 tsp pure maple syrup, which toned down the bitter note, but overshadowed the flavors a bit. Then I added 1tsp milk which seemed to smooth things out.
I will have to try less time/lower temp and see what that does. Overall it’s not a bad morning cuppa and I think I’ll grow to love it.

Nik

Based on the tasting notes I’ve been reading recently, the consensus seems to be that the sweet spot for 52teas’ black tea blends is 2-2.5 minutes with boiling water. This blend sounds so yummy! I reckon I would have to try it sweetened with maple syrup, too. =)

Nik’s got it right… A bit lower than boiling and aim for 2mins, gradually upping if you find it a bit weak.

Comments

Nik

I enjoy reading, paddling (kayak and SUP), eating local food, and drinking tea, of course!

Greensboro, NC