drank Golden Honey Dew by Lupicia

Wow. I’ve never been a fan of rooibos, so I was hesitant to try this sample that I’ve had for a while. But then I realized I had only ever tried red rooibos and this one has green rooibos. When I opened up the bag, it smelled like delicious, juicy honeydew with no medicinal rooibos smell. Off to a good start! After steeping it, there was a slight medicinal smell, but that may have been a bit psychological. The taste of the tea is purely juicy honeydew. It reminds me of this Korean popsicle I had as a kid that totally defined my summers. I’m very delightfully surprised with how much I like this one. The one criticism I might have is that it does run on the sweet side, so I have to be in the mood for something sweeter. I bet it would also make a really great cold brew, but sadly, I only have enough sample left to make one hot cuppa later. Perhaps I will pick some up when I get back to California. I’m really tempted.

I’m a California girl temporarily located in Boston for school (brrr). I only recently got into teas because I’ve never really liked coffee (too bitter), but I have been a daily barley tea drinker since I was little.

Through some timid tastings and exploring, I so far like:
-Japanese green teas (genmaicha, hojicha, sencha, etc)
-Oolongs! (Most kinds except formosa and dan cong so far)
-Straight black teas
-English Breakfast teas
-Fruity teas (peach, apple, strawberry, other berries)

NOT a huge fan of rooibos, matcha, heavily artificial tasting teas, or anything gingery or peppery, but I’m trying to keep an open mind and taste everything that I can!

I’m trying to sample more straight teas and have been having pretty awesome discoveries so far. Thank goodness for sample sizes!

My tentative rating system:
90-100: Woohoo! I’m loving it, and I’m definitely restocking when I get the chance and/or crying when I’m out.

80-90: Yum! I’ll try to restock if it fits in my budget when I run out.

70-80: Probably would not buy again, but it was nice enough to finish the cup.

50-70: Would not choose this tea for myself if given the situation, but would not reject it if someone offered it to me and would gulp down politely.

50 or less: Nope. Don’t care to taste that tea again, sorry!

I’m always down to swap, so send me a message if anything in my cupboard is calling your name!