I absolutely loved the Gyokuro Green Tea, but I was looking for a way to save money and the salesperson at Teavana recommended I try the same thing but with Genmaicha in it. Basically, genmaicha are bits of toasted rice.

This tea is GREAT. If you you are mindful of the temperature and time, you get a smooth and toasted flavor green tea. Plus, you can re-infuse the leaves at least 3x (and I found the 2nd and 3rd brew as even more wonderfully complex tasting). If you like green tea and the idea of it also tasting toasted appeals to you, you must try this tea. Just be sure you follow the directions carefully!! I use organic honey in this to add a tiny bit of sweetness, but I’ve tried it without and it’s still very good.

When brewing, I actually set the timer for 35 seconds so the tea won’t oversteep- that way by the time it drains out it’s been about the recommended 45 seconds. As someone who is very sensitive to bitter taste, properly brewing this tea left NO bitterness.

I’ve been drinking loose leaf teas for about 4 years and really enjoy the sense of contentment it brings to my busy life. I suppose tea is an experience you inherently have to slow down and enjoy, as it quiets the mind and allows you to hear more readily. I am also interested in Buddhism, yoga, meditation, and psychotherapy.

Here are some of my favorite teas:

Organic Silver Needle White Tea (Teavivre)
Bailin Gongfu Black Tea (Teavivre)
Buttered Rum (DavidsTea)
Gyrokuro/Gyrokuro Genmaicha (Teavana)
Apple Green Tea (Indigo Tea Company)
Strawberry Festival (Indigo Tea Company)
Mom’s Apple Pie (David’s Tea)
Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls/Rooibos Tropica Blend (Teavana)

Eagan, Minnesota