So I tried making this in my gaiwan last night and apparently failed miserably. I followed steeping instructions on the website but no matter how I tried steeping it it had a horrible bitter chemical flavor. Does anyone know why? I’m completely puzzled…. :(

Hello KallieBoo,

Our this raw pu-erh tea cake is made by the tea buds and leaves from Yunnan large-leaf tea trees. The process of making this kind of raw puerh cake is totally manually and without any chemical material.

The bitter taste of tea is caused by the component of catechin in tea leaves. The catechin in large-leaf tea trees is usually more than other tea tress. The tea cakes made by the material which contains more tea buds will be bitter than other teas because of the high containing of catechin.

The bitterness often can be divided into several situations.
1. You feel bitterness once the tea liquor into your mouth, but a quick enjoyable aftertaste sweetness will come to your tongue and even throat. This is a good sign for high quality raw pu-erh teas.
2. You feel bitterness from the beginning of the drink to the end without any aftertaste sweetness or astringency. This kind of tea will be a little poor quality that the fist situation.
3. The bad one is for the feeling of bitterness with astringency

For the bitter chemical flavor you mentioned, I think it may because you are not accustomed to the natural bitterness of the raw pu-erh tea which then you mistaken as chemical flavor. If this kind of bitterness is not quite acceptable by you at the beginning. I suggest you shorten the brewing time, at the first few infusions you can quickly pour out the tea liquor in a few seconds after you pour the boiling water to the tea. In this quick brewing way the bitterness may be a little decreased.

The bitterness of raw pu-erh tea may be not quite acceptable for the raw pu-erh beginners. However, many pu-erh tea lovers love this kind of bitterness and sweet aftertaste after some time of adjustment period.
After more than 7 years of natural oxidation, the sweetness aftertaste of this pu-erh tea is quite obvious. I believe you will also love this kind of pu-erh tea once you are used to it.

Here are also some other tea lovers reviews for this teas:

KallieBoo!

Thank you for helping me Angel!! I’ll have to try it again.

You are welcome, please contact us if you have any questions about tea:D

Comments

TeaVivre

Hello KallieBoo,

The bitterness often can be divided into several situations.
3. The bad one is for the feeling of bitterness with astringency

Here are also some other tea lovers reviews for this teas:

KallieBoo!

Thank you for helping me Angel!! I’ll have to try it again.

You are welcome, please contact us if you have any questions about tea:D