drank Sencha Kanaya by Lupicia

When this tea came, my first impression was that it smelled a lot like nori. I am a sushi fan, so this is a good thing. I finally got around to making it today and it tastes like nori, too. It’s very astringent but kind of sweet at the same time, and there’s a sort of toasty feeling at the back of your mouth exactly like the taste that eating nori sheets will give you.

I think I oversteeped this, though; the description says it’s supposed to be “elegant” but it sort of hit me over the head with gratuitous amounts of taste, like HI I’M A HIGH-GRADE JAPANESE GREEN TEA!! CAN YOU TELL??? The next time I make this, I’m definitely going to try it at just one minute. I think there’s a lot more sweetness in there that’s not coming out because I left it in too long.

EDIT 6/16/11: I’ve finally figured this tea out! I think I steeped it correctly this time and I got all the flavors. All of them.

This tea starts out kind of smooth and sweet when it hits your tongue. There’s a little vegetal kick at the back, and then when you swallow, the vegetal taste turns into delicious, toasty nori. The nori stays and becomes a whole aftertaste. This is an effing excellent tea.

I Would Certainly Consider Buying It Again.

MJ is 23, plays with arts and crafts and words and meanings, and prefers a side of tea with her procrastination.

I’m a big fan of Japanese greens and of dessert-flavored black teas. Oolongs too, but my love affair with them has been dying, although I could pretty much subsist on Kwan Yin. Also, I will pretty much automatically love anything with popcorn in it, despite not liking actual popcorn.

Not a huge fan of chai or jasmine.

I’m really fond of seasonal teas, so I’m likely to give something a try if it’s specifically for spring or fall or what have you.

I should mention that I am a complete newbie, despite my enthusiasm, and that I probably sound like I know far more about tea than I actually do.

Mad props to ZenTea for keeping me sane and being delicious.

Atlanta