I love this tea, which surprised me. I picked it up on Black Friday, because I stepped into Teavana to avoid whatever was going on in the mall. Teavana was super busy as well, but it was a little less busy and at least it was kind of dark and dreamy and smelled lovely. Anyway, this tea is on 50% clearance, and I have thought about buying it before, so I bought a full 8 ounces of it, which was really smart of me because the full price is a bit steep for my budget. I have drank so many cups over the past few days. So many. I think I had four or five cups of it today only (I stopped counting after five. Because well—dignity.)

I love this tea. I wish I had bought it months ago. I love oolong teas and I love chocolate teas. The local coffee shop near my parents house when I was in high school served this amazing chocolate and vanilla rooibos blend that enchanted me. Rooibos has fallen out of favor with me, and I rarely drink it any more. Anyway, I haven’t really had this rooibos in a long time. However, this tea hits all the notes that rooibos blend did. Teavana’s blend tastes like cake and chocolate. What I mean is that the chocolate flavor has a creamy aftertaste that reminds me of a cake taste. I think the coconut is the reason for this aftertaste, but I love it.

The reason I didn’t buy it sooner is that I was worried about the maté in the blend. I figured that would mess up the caffeine content and also obscure the oolong flavor. It does not obscure the flavor of the oolong, which I will discuss in the next paragraph, and instead, the maté adds a roasted aftertaste which really works. I was surprised.

The oolong itself is pleasant. Unlike some other oolong blends from Teavana, I can taste the oolong. It’s a light oolong, but doesn’t seem to brew like a greener oolong per se, as it has a maltier flavors I associate with a browner oolong.

I’ll be sad to see this go. I purchased 8 ounces of it, and I hope that lasts me awhile. I’ve been drinking so much of this tea though… Hopefully someone on Steepster also likes chocolate oolong, and I can find a blend to replace this with when I’m finished.

I get two great brews from this tea, and I think the third brew is quite decent. I feel like I should include that.

This is one of my first reviews on Steepster. I’m sure everyone can tell.

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York