drank Chestnut by Adagio Teas

I had a (the, I suppose) guy over last night, and I decided we needed tea in the morning, which was really more of the afternoon. Anyway, I bought 6 ounces of this, and I think I’m going to return one of the 3 ounce pouches. But now I’m not sure, because I liked this tea more than I expected, and it would cost me a lot in shipping to replace the tea. Anyway, this tea smells incredible. I don’t know what chestnuts the people over at Adagio are tasting, but they must be pretty exceptional. The smell is sweet and nutty, and it’s so spectacular. I’ve never really smelled anything like this tea. The taste was not as good as the smell, as the black tea base was very bitter. I brewed it almost as described; I used 208 degree water instead of 212 degree water. I added some rock sugar that Adagio sent me free, because Adagio is awesome, but while that probably helped the taste, it did not remove the bitterness. I think Adagio’s tea base is just kind of bitter and astringent for their flavored teas.

With all of that said, I like this tea. I’m not sure I’m going to send it back. The flavor is delicious and comforting and unique. Since I think this will retire when the season is over, having extra of it might be nice. I haven’t decided yet.

Anyway, I like this tea a lot, although I don’t come close to loving it. It’s a really solid offering from Adagio.

Starfevre

Adagio’s base is pretty tricky. I’ve had better luck brewing it at 190.

Comments

Starfevre

Adagio’s base is pretty tricky. I’ve had better luck brewing it at 190.

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York