drank Yunnan Golden Pu-erh Tea by Teavana

I know I just added a tasting note for this tea, but it’s my morning tea. Anyway, I slept very poorly last night, like I laid awake in bed for hours, and I woke up at noon today to—snow. I’m not used to snow, and I was extremely startled.

Anyway, the tasting story goes like this: I decided I’d try to change the way I brew this a bit. Since I prefer the second steeping of this tea to the first, I decided I would try washing this tea with 4 ounces of boiling water before I brewed it. The tea tasted so different. I was really surprised. I still brewed the tea at 190 for 3 minutes.

The smokey notes of this tea came out and covered the bright taste of the original tea. I suppose the Pu-erh notes came through with this steeping. The tea was still very good, but instead of being well rounded and mellow, it became smokey and soft.

But, you are probably asking, how did the mythical second steeping taste? Disappointing. All the complexity of the cup left, and I ended up with the most generic tasting black tea ever.

This was an interesting experiment. I won’t be rinsing this tea again.

JustJames

teavana is not known for longevity. i think was my first puerh…. i used to use it as a base for other things. i’d layer all sorts of things on top of it.

Comments

JustJames

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York