drank Ceylon Pekoe by Tea At Sea

I also got a sample of this for free from Tea by the Sea, and I’m excited about it. I always feel really special when I get free samples. First off, the packaging is ADORABLE. I guess that’s kind of a petty place to start, but when I opened the package, I noticed immediately how well marketed and how cute the packaging was. I hope the company continues this trend, because I smiled.

I’m drinking the tea now, and it’s a solid tea. I’m not much of a Ceylon tea fan, honestly, as I find it to be a bit too astringent for me. This tea I enjoy, but it’s not a tea I would pick up on my own (I’m thrilled about the other sample, though, which I will be reviewing and is much more up my black tea ally). This tea has the qualities of a Ceylon tea for sure. It is thin and sharp and also a bit sweet with a definite, and I can’t think of a better word for it, black tea taste. I would describe this as a significantly elevated Lipton bagged tea.

The tea in the package was a dark leaf, loosely rolled, and even though the leaves looked small to me, when it brewed, the leaves expanded significantly. It looked really pretty while it brewed. The color of the brewed tea is best described to me as auburn. It was a red-tinted brown, and it looked like a dark orange when it brewed.

Overall, I like this tea. I would certainly drink it again (very willingly) although I wouldn’t pick it out for myself.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York