This is a good tea. I have been drinking almost exclusively black teas for awhile now, so this oolong was a bit of a change. This is the kind of oolong I tend to like less than roasted oolongs, and this does have the properties I kind a bit less suited to me, which doesn’t mean I didn’t like this tea. The first steeping was bright! It had a thin sharpness which is ideal to me for this kind of oolong. It’s mildly floral, and it manages to be vegetable without being grassy—and I dislike vegetable tasting teas quite a bit. Drinking it was kind of like drinking the experience of spending a bright sunny may afternoon in a very well cultivated park. I know that sounds crazy, but that was the experience I thought of when I first sipped this tea.

The leaves unfolded beautifully when it steeped, and were wide and green in appearance, rolled and bundled before brewed.

The second seeping was also good, and the second steeping definitely held on to the floral qualities. The more vegetable qualities disappeared some, but so did the sharpness of the cup. The second steeping mellowed the tea out. I haven’t yet tried for a third.

Overall, this is a solid oolong, and I would add this to my cupboard in a heartbeat. It’s very tasty, even though it’s different from what I usually drink.

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York