drank Cool Cucumber by DAVIDsTEA

I really didn’t need more tea, but guys, I love cucumbers. I’m like passionately in love with the taste of cucumbers. So when I saw this was coming out, I knew I needed to try it. So, I dragged my lazy butt out of bed today and made a trip downtown to buy a few grams of this to try. Luckily for me, this was one of the samples they had brewed in the store. When I tried it, I fell in love with it. It’s extremely light, impressively so for a black tea, and tastes strongly of cucumbers. The taste is sweet but distinctive. I get very little of the melon flavor, which is good, because that was the aspect of the tea that turned me the most off in its written description.

This is a tea I would never recommend to someone else, as it’s that unusual tasting, but it’s a tea that I know I love. I’m really glad, because Adagio’s cucumber white tea is undrinkably unpleasant, and I was worried this tea would fall into the same category, which obviously, it does not.

This tea is going to be great iced, I think. It tastes like cucumber water, mostly, or cucumber martinis, both of which one drinks cold. I may try to save some of the pot I made just now (I had to brew some as soon as I got it home, even though it’s way too late in the day to be drinking black tea) and chill it in the refrigerator over night. I may not have the discipline.

I ended up purchasing 100 grams on the spot, and I have no regrets.

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York