drank Pu Erh Hazelberry by Adagio Teas

Maybe I got a bad batch of this. But it is GROSS.

I like flavored Pu-Erhs, and I like all the components of this tea. My boyfriend, however, prefers fruity teas and prefers Pu-Erh bases to black bases. I bought this to serve to him. I probably won’t actually serve it to him, because it’s gross.

So, this tea is very earthy, and not in the way that I like my Pu-Erh to be earthy. This tea tastes like I accidentally ate dirt that was on my hands—like what happens when you are a kid. It also tastes like grass. I like earthy Pu-Erhs, but this is a kind of earthiness which is off putting. I’m shocked I don’t like this base, because I like Adagio’s Pu-Erh Dante quite a bit.

And then, it gets worse. It took me awhile to figure out what the sweet fruit taste that is on top of the weird tea base. It struck me with a great deal of force. It tastes like Crunch Berry cereal. Almost exactly.

So, there’s a weird, malty-sweet fake berry taste on top of a weird grassy cheap Pu-Erh. I wish I liked this more. I really wanted to. But…

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I like Chinese black tea varieties best, followed closely by roasted Oolongs. I find white tea somewhat boring, and that makes me feel bad and unsophisticated. I have a terrible habit of buying green teas and trying to like them and never succeeding. I like Pu-Erh teas, but only on certain occasions, mostly during rainy weather.

I live in New York, but I’m a poorly adjusted Southern transplant. I write poetry and go to school for it. I’m not actually very good. If you like William Carlos Williams, I like you. I tend to talk too much, even online, and I have a horrible capacity for babbling.

I also like either upscale cocktail bars or really dive-y grungy places with cheap well vodka. And very spicy food when I’m stressed or sad.

That’s about it. Except I watch really horrible horror movies when I write. I have better taste in movies than that, but the furious noise of crap keeps me concentrated on my craft.

As a note: I will be away from home, and thus my tea collection, visiting my parents from December 21st-January 15th. As a result, I may not have access to teas in my cupboard, and will only be able to do limited swaps. I feel like I should make a note of that, even though no one’s like chomping the bit to swap with me.

New York