So, what is the deal with Keemun in this one??

I ask because on the David’s website, no Keemun is listed in the ingredients. That’s probably shame on me, because they do say teas from Yunnan, but they didn’t specifically list Keemun until I looked at the package that had been shipped to me.

Now I’m super picky about smoke. As in, don’t like it. Don’t like the smell from campfires, from cigars, all of it is super offensive to my nose. So I was on hyper alert and sniffed the heck out of the dry leaf to see if any of that Keemun was there. And I guess I lucked out – because maaaaayyybe in the back corner of the smell, that last tiny speck of a whiff might have hidden some smoke. But it didn’t set any warning bells off so into my Breville it went: 3 tsp. leaf, 500 ml. water, at the below parameters.

Once brewed that tiiiiny scent translated into maybe a few little sips with smoke on the back end. I added some milk and it went away though. Whew! This led me onto more important things – comparing this breakfast tea to my gold standard, Upton’s East Frisian Blend. (see: all 20+ plus reviews of me singing its praises.)

I’ll just cut to the chase here and say that this one didn’t win. Although this tea is less astringent, even with a slightly longer steep time, it’s also got that thinner mouthfeel that I’m 3 out of 3 for with David’s blends. Even with the milk, it just doesn’t quite measure up. Both breakfast teas are very malty like good blacks are, but Frissy has more of a caramel-sweet note that is so homey and comfortable.

Also – as this one cools, or as I’ve left it alone for a second to write this review, that smoke is coming back on my radar. Smoky tea/milk – not my favorite.

Sigh. I feel like I’m being so hard on David’s! I don’t want to be, either, so I’ll say something positive here – I love their perfect tea mug, I loved their shipping and packaging of the teas that they sent to me. Everything is done with care and I know they genuinely love their customers and their products. And I KNOW I will love some of their teas – but I may have to wait for a store to come here (which – well, I live in Atlanta, Teavana Central) so I can sample smaller amounts at a time.

Who knows, maybe that Chocolate Chili Chai will be a contender..

LiberTEAS

That smoky tone just isn’t for everyone. It took me a long time before I was able to even have Lapsang Souchong in the house, because the smell was so repulsive to me. I’d say it took me about 10 years to finally come around to it. Ha!

momo

I have repeatedly commented on stuff DavidsTea posts about opening one up around here, lol. And not just “Come to Atlanta!!!!” like actually giving them specific spots that could work. If they open here in even the next two years I could die happily.

Arteest103

They keep changing the blend—it’s driving me crazy. The one I like best was from about a year and a half ago. Back then it was (in order of appearance: Darjeeling, Yunan, Ceylon. Now, its smoky with Assam and I can’t stand it. I, too, cannot drink Keemun. Yuck. As well, the stores labeling doesn’t match the actual ingredients. I bought 50gms about a month ago and the label still said ‘Ceylon’ with no mention of ‘Assam’. I can understand that being organic it might be difficult to use the same ingredients. I think, in that case, they should just say it’s not in stock. As well, its kinda coincidental that I find David’s teas to be very close to some of Murchies teas that have been around for years. When you order from Murchies however, you get the same blend each time.

Comments

LiberTEAS

momo