drank Red Velvet Cake by DAVIDsTEA

My order came- and it was totally delivered to my apartment door!!!! That never ever happens! So now I have bunches and bunches of new flavors to try – SQUEE!!!

I fortunately got a lot of rooibos flavors (which I will be getting to after dinner) but I could still get away with one black blend if I got started on it immediately. So I went with this because – well, I haven’t had cake in a long time, really since going gluten free a few months ago.

Preparation: no additives, 1.5 tsp. leaf to 8 oz. water.

The dry leaf did have a sort of chemically maple smell that reminded me strongly of my first (not so good) impression of their salted caramel. But once I kept sniffing it there was a definite note of chocolate cake in there. It smells REALLY sweet – makes me want some cake frosting. My favorite part of any cake is ALWAYS the frosting!

It didn’t brew up as red as I was expecting, given that beetroot powder is an ingredient. It did brew up cloudy, though, which I was expecting because of the sprinkles/chocolate bits that are interspersed throughout the leaf.

Tastewise, I get echoes of chocolate cake and frosting – more an aftertaste now that I think about it. It tastes great – though not specifically of red velvet cake, if I’m honest. A little bit too caramel tasting for that.

Still – I do like it very much…and this is boding well for the next 10 or so I have to try!