I love that the dry leaf smells warm – like cinnamon apples steaming inside a freshly baked crust.

But I think that the dried apple bits that are in the dry leaf almost have a hibiscus effect here – they make the tea very tart even at the 3 minute mark. It’s a balancing act though because I like the strength of the base at 3 minutes – just not the extra astringence from the fruit. In other words, I need sugar to help bring the two flavors together.

Once the sugar gets added it is perfect – apple cider-esque with a cinnamon pastry feel on the end. I love apple pie, and this is a great way to have it without going through the prep work of the real thing. Yay for instant gratification!