drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

I really need to get a gaiwan. I think this every single time I try one of Verdant’s teas.

The smell of this dry….guh. It is a rich, dark scent – malt and cocoa, everything I love in a black tea. I only ordered a sample size of this but based on the smell alone I already know I will be ordering more. Once steeped, it is just as heavy on the cocoa – the smell is practically pouring out of my Breville and I want to figure out a way to bottle it, seriously.

As I pour the first steep into the cup, this loses some of the distinctive cocoa and turns a touch more roasted edamame. It also smells starchy, like slightly burnt toast, or the blackened ends of french fries. I was worried I oversteeped but really the texture is so smooth and buttery and not the least astringent that I’m fairly sure this is the way it’s meant to taste. And surprisingly, it works for now. Onto the second infusion!

This steep, at 6 minutes, is a lot lighter in body. The roasted bit is gone, replaced with honey and remnants of the cocoa from before. And then fresh baked (not burnt) bread. Almost like a brownie…oh my gosh this is so good! I love this steep even more than the first! It is beyond amazing.

Supposedly I can get two more steeps out of this so I’m definitely going to give it a shot, but it’ll have to be tomorrow for the sake of my bladder. I definitely see why this is rated so highly – absolutely fantastic.

This has decided me – I’ll get more of this and a gaiwan and live happily ever after. :)