drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

So, I think I want to name my gaiwan Midori. It means green in japanese and I am apparently unable to muster up anything more creative. But I think it looks like a Midori. I do have a problem with anthropomorphizing inanimate objects, actually. Can you tell? :)

Anyway, after doing the initial rinse, the leaf smelled SO. GOOD. Chocolate and the blackened potato note I recall from having this before.

1st steep = 15 seconds. Now the leaf smells less like chocolate and more like char. The liquor smells similar. It reminds me of the Anxi, actually. The taste however is cocoa powder and honey, with just a little of the burned note hovering on the periphery. This is much more complex than the Anxi ever got for me.

2nd steep = 25 seconds. I am working on being faster with this but I can’t seem to just add an extra 3 seconds on per steep – it takes that long for me to get the lid on the cup sometimes, since I get easily distracted watching the color seep into the water. The liquor smells and tastes predominately cocoa now, and is honey colored. This is really encouraging! I’m still really hoping for some cinnamony notes to come out because that cinnamon + chocolate combination was the thing I loved about my initial Lao Shan black experience, and what was missing from this batch the first time around. Fingers crossed!

3rd steep = 45 seconds. THERE IT IS. OMG happy happy. Cinnamon brownie I missed you! I’m probably going to go even slower than normal drinking this steeping because it’s my favorite. This is the whole reason I bought Lao Shan black. The leaf has gone back to smelling like just cocoa powder, and the liquor is lighter than

4th steep = 1 minute. Mmm. The liquor is even lighter in color but this is all baking chocolate. The cinnamon is gone, but that’s okay – it’s kind of fun knowing that I’ll only get to have it for that one small steep – that makes it even more valuable of an experience.

Sigh. I took so long to write this that my Breville’s turned off and I don’t have enough in it to start it boiling again. I’m being lazy – too lazy to refill it apparently. So I’ll keep the leaves and probably try for a few remaining steeps later tonight.

Yay for more playtime with Midori!

Boiling
Bonnie

Can’t remember if you brewed this western style,but if not…it is the preferred method for this tea. Usually the opposite is true,but Laoshan Black is an exception.

JoonSusanna

Huh, that’s funny. I did brew it western style both times I had it previously. The previous batch was amazing that way- this batch , it was kind of underwhelming. For the new batch so far I would definitely have to say gongfu is preferable. For my taste buds at least. Have you tried the new harvest yet?

Lynxiebrat

I personally love the name Midori, it’s so cute sounding and playful.

Cavocorax

I second that. I love the name, and the idea of naming teaware.

JoonSusanna

Thanks guys! I have a tendency to name EVERYTHING (cars, stuffed animals, etc) so I couldn’t just NOT name a vital part of my tea collection – especially when she’ll be with me for quite a while (I hope!).

Comments

Bonnie

Lynxiebrat

I personally love the name Midori, it’s so cute sounding and playful.

Cavocorax

I second that. I love the name, and the idea of naming teaware.

When it comes to tea, I feel like the 10th Doctor says it best: