drank Smooth Earl by Compass Teas

MMMM.. bergamot and vanilla are an intoxicating combination. Had this in the morning with a slice of strawberry peach pie. I’ve almost mastered crusts, I think! The secret is lard. Well, for me it is, anyway – nothing else has gotten close to the flakiness.

Anyway. This one preps flawlessly every time if you go by the company’s directions: 1 tsp., 3 minutes. Shorter than I usually steep my black teas but I think it would definitely be too bitter otherwise. Still one of the best Earl Grey Creme’s I’ve tasted.

K S

Alton Brown (Good Eats) says lard is not nearly as bad for you (in moderation) as we have been scared into believing and it is essential to great crust. Suddenly the salad I had for lunch is wearing off, but alas I have no pie.

TheTeaFairy

KS, I think the key here would be in moderation for sure, even if Alton Brown the Great says so! I love Alton and I miss that show, do you know if it’s still on somewhere?

K S

I know it ended first run a couple seasons ago. I was watching it everyday at 11 on Food and recently it just disappeared without warning. It will probably show up again. The lard statement is in comparison to using Crisco or something similar. Real pie crust unfortunately will never be ‘good’ for you – just GOOD!

TheTeaFairy

Thanks KS, I loved good eats for its humorous side and originality plus it was so insightful, hope it will return…
I know what you meant about the lard, i was just teasing :-) I understand that if you’re gonna have pie anyways, might as well have it the best way possible, right?

OMGsrsly

I like half lard, half butter. :) My mom and gramma have always used lard, but I love the flavour butter gives. I also tend to freeze the butter and then grate it into the dough, which is a little ridiculous.. but I make pie so infrequently I figure I’m worth it.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

I must ♥ Alton here b/c ya’ll are talking bout him !

Comments

K S

OMGsrsly

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

I must ♥ Alton here b/c ya’ll are talking bout him !

A few of my favorite teas (in no particular order):

*Dessert flavored blacks
*Breakfast blends
*Virtually any black tea (but lapsang/keemun!)
*Dancong oolong