YAY! A tea advent calendar! I’m a few days late starting because I just got it last night but I imagine I’ll catch up soon. I’ve never tried any Dammann Freres teas before so I figured this would be a good way to get a sampling and have a bit of surprise to it as well.

This is day 1, and it is December 6th today. I need to catch up as quick as I can so I don’t get any surprises spoiled for me. That, or stay off Steepster, which, let’s be real. This is practically my internet home.

Dry leaf smell is very sweet, cloyingly so. Mostly I get the mallow and the vanilla. It’s the kind of strong that I think the hot water will dilute, though. I couldn’t imagine drinking it if it smelled this strong when steeped.

Steeped: sure enough, much more toned down marshmallow notes. Still it’s the dominant smell, though. I’m trying to search for a bit of the fruity components, but maybe that will happen more once it cools off.

More than anything there is a creamy thick texture. Herbals are usually always too thin for my liking, so this is fabulous! There is still an indistinct sweetness in the flavor. It is a sweet, creamy tisane that has a slightly woody undertone as it cools…maybe licorice if I look hard enough. I think that speaks to the skillfulness in blending more than anything else, though – this was a smooth and unique mixture of ingredients that just worked.

Well, first impressions of Dammann Freres are favorable so far. Now it’s on to tea #2!

Oh man…never had DF before? Send me your Addie and I’ll send you a few others just for kicks. Consider it repayment on ether teas you sent cavo and I when you were clearing your cupboard. :)

JoonSusanna

OMG you are too kind. You also clearly have the memory of an elephant. :) PM’ing you now!

perfect! I may wait until i get my order from DF but there will be treats in the mail :)

Comments

JoonSusanna

A few of my favorite teas (in no particular order):

*Dessert flavored blacks
*Breakfast blends
*Virtually any black tea (but lapsang/keemun!)
*Dancong oolong