2.5 tsp. to 20 oz. (-ish) water in my Breville.

I am always a little gun shy around black teas for some reason – I love them so much but I don’t want to make them bitter so I tend to be overcautious with my steep times, especially if it’s my first time trying it hot. All that is to say that 4 minutes (an extra 30 seconds) might make the flavor just a bit stronger next time.

Well, at 3:30, I successfully managed to avoid that dreaded bitterness/astringency. This tea is palatable with no additives, and the smell – that comforting earthy smell – adds even more to the experience. Plus, as it cools I get more of a ‘tea’ taste. I haven’t really had much experience with Darjeelings before but this leads me to think I may like them.

In any case, I know I like this one enough to keep it around when I’m in the mood for a lighter black tea.

LiberTEAS

I find that I need to lower the steep time by 30 seconds for black teas. That is to say, if I would normally steep a black tea at 3 minutes, I steep it for 2 minutes 30 seconds in the breville. I think that this is because the temperature remains true throughout the steeping process, whereas in a teapot or smart brewing device, the temp drops slightly as it brews.

JoonSusanna

I think you’re on to something with the Breville – and I think I’ve actually been trying to compensate for that without realizing it. I know I like my black teas strong so I gravitate toward the 5 minute mark for steeping normally but that did NOT work the one time I tried in my beloved Teabot – so I’ve been hovering around 3-4 minutes ever since.

Ah well, it just means that I get to enjoy my tea a little faster this way, so I’m not complaining!

Comments

LiberTEAS

JoonSusanna