So, my master plan for this tea was to brew up a gallon iced and sweetened in the same way I normally make my iced tea. and serve it with Thanksgiving dinner. It’s why I decided to take the leap and buy 4 oz. (well, that and I had a gift card to Amazon, so that made it pretty cheap).

But of course when I got it in today, and it was 50 degrees outside, iced was not going to be the first way I tried this. Boyfriend (hater of flavored teas that he is) actually sniffed the dry leaf and asked for some, which surprised me because I actually would not have wanted to try this based on the dry leaf smell. It had hints of orange and cranberry and black tea, yes, but there was something off about it; and the steeped tea retained that ‘off’ odor.

The flavor is pretty much what I hoped it would be, though; black tea with hints of cranberry that get a little more tart as it cools. I didn’t get so much of the orange, but I think that the tart/bitterness could be from rind pieces I saw floating in the mix. Unadulterated it was a good balance of tea and fruit, so I added some sugar (since I will be sweetening it a little bit) to see what happens when I do.

Straight up, this turns into black tea and cranberry juice! The tartness is still there, but it’s a good tart – the tart you feel when you’ve had cranberry juice or cranberry sauce. A realistic tart, I guess is what I should say. I could almost see why people assumed there was hibiscus in it, but it definitely is just the cranberry behaving like a cranberry.

So, to sum: I think the only thing I wasn’t fond of where this was concerned was the smell. And in iced tea scent tends to be weaker so I’m thinking my original idea of a Thanksgiving iced tea was pretty freaking genius. I can’t believe it’s only 2 weeks away!

Ninavampi

Can’t wait for Thanksgiving!!! Pumpkin Pie! Pecan Pie! Mashed Potatoes!!!! Yuuuuum!!!!!! And of course tea! Wish I had some of this! Sounds perfect with a Thanksgiving feast!