First off, thank you so much to Angel Chen from Teavivre who provided me with these very generous samples! I am excited to try each one of them!

The mailman brought this box of samples to my door about 30 minutes ago – on a rainy, damp night where I was just beginning to think about what tea I wanted for after dinner. I have been reading everyone’s reviews of these teas and anticipating them all so it was really hard picking a first to sample! Ultimately I went with this one because I’ve been wanting a green tea lately and I’m pretty well versed in Japanese greens, but Chinese greens I’m a lot less familiar with.

So, to start: after opening the packaging the first thing I saw were the bright green, flat leaves. The scent of them dry reminded me very strongly of sencha – spinachy and savory. I brewed about 3 heaping tsp. of leaf to 500 ml. water in my Breville, at the below parameters, and the resulting liquor was almost colorless it was such a light green.

I was initially worried I hadn’t steeped long enough because of the color, but as soon as I poured and inhaled the smell, I knew it was going to be amazing. Think of the smell of freshly steamed spinach or nori, and that is what emanated from my cup. The taste was spinachy too, just like a sencha, but unlike sencha there was a roasted note that was attached to the vegetal flavor throughout the sip.

Overall this tea seems quite versatile, and would go well with a savory meal or as I’m enjoying it now, with no additives as an after dinner winding down drink. It is a great example of a ‘pure’ green. I definitely am impressed, and will be putting it on my shopping list.