drank Ali Shan by thepuriTea

This is the last of the samples I bought from thepuriTea during their Cyber Monday sale.

Preparation notes: I prepared about 6 grams of leaf in 500 ml. water at the below parameters in my Breville. No additives were used.

Dry leaf: The dry leaf consisted of very small tightly rolled dark green balls. The scent was lightly vegetal and floral. It could be that my palate just isn’t sophisticated enough, but I don’t sense anything that separates it from other green oolongs that I’ve tried.

Steeped tea: The steeped tea is a light golden yellow color. The dominant scent of the liquor is floral – slightly honeyed floral.

Unfortunately I think the taste falls short. It’s not bitter or astringent, but the mouthfeel and taste are thin and watery, and even when it cools I get nothing more than light floral notes.

Steeping parameters from the website recommended 1 or 2 grams of tea per 8 oz. cup, and I did 3 grams, but it still seems weak. And seriously, if I have to use more than this amount of leaf each cup it would get really expensive really fast.

It was drinkable but not something I’ll be seeking out in the future.