So, I’ve had one other dan cong to date and that was from thepuriTea. I loved it but unfortunately came to terms with the fact that it was quite…expensive for my very limited budget.

Still, the dan cong has been my most favorite oolong to date and I really wanted to have one on hand at all times. Enter in that awesome Teavana sale and the dan cong being 75% off and I just couldn’t resist. Even though I had not tried their particular stock, I bought a half pound and hoped it would be good. I got $100 worth of tea for $25, so it was a good deal, if nothing else!

Preparation notes: 2 tsp. per 8 oz. (about 6 ish grams tea total) for 500 ml. water in the Breville at the below parameters.

I must note that these were not the parameters Teavana recommends. I will try it at their parameters next, but for now I went with what I used with thepuriTea’s sample to compare them.

Dry leaf: Smelled very roasted, even a tinge malty. I got impressions of salt water/air, and honey as well. It reminded me of a black tea. The black, needle like leaves were surprisingly unbroken, despite the transport of shipping. So far, so good!

Steeped tea: The steeped tea smelled amazing! It smelled like a roasted green. The taste was roasted and nutty, with a slight hint of a vegetal layered in there somewhere. Really, the nutty and roasted notes take center stage during the sip, though. As it cools there is the slightest whisper of a hint of astringency, but I don’t find it unpleasant and am sure it would go away with a slight decrease in steep time.

The texture of this tea is thick and nectary, with the end of the sip bringing out a kind of honey/sweetness. My favorite part of the dan cong before was that prolonged peachy aftertaste and I was most hopeful that that would be recreated here. While I don’t get peach, I do get apricot, and though the aftertaste was prolonged, it was nutty rather than fruity. I have plenty of this tea to experiment with, though (squee!!!), so I will play around with this to see if it changes.

My overall impression of this is that it was an awesome deal and I’m glad I sprung for it. I probably won’t rebuy it (it probably won’t be available anyway by the time I’m out), but I will definitely be seeking out other dan congs when I have the money.

Yum! My favorite oolong varietal without a doubt.

A few of my favorite teas (in no particular order):

*Dessert flavored blacks
*Breakfast blends
*Virtually any black tea (but lapsang/keemun!)
*Dancong oolong