Free sample included with my last Teavana order.

I remember trying this in store and being less than wowed, even though it’s one of their most touted blends. I think it’s because I had it hot and that just seemed wrong, somehow. So when I made this, I did so with the intent of putting it over ice.

Preparation notes: The whole sample in 500 ml. water at the below parameters. I did a second steep of the leaves (not about to waste 1 freaking oz of that stuff on only 2 cups) at 4 minutes steep time.

Dry leaf: I don’t even know that there was anything in that ‘tea’ besides rock sugar and fruit chunks. I really didn’t see anything that I would describe as a leaf. Strange…

Steeped tea: I’m pretty sure that hibiscus is the culprit for both the color and the flavor of this. It steeped to a bright, vibrant reddish pink and smelled very orangey. And while I did get a fair bit of orange on the sip (while hot), I got this overwhelming tart flavor that completely managed to bury whatever rock sugar got put in there.

After I made the four cups I actually had to add sugar to get some of the fruity flavor back (a tsp. and a half) and then I set it in the refrigerator so the boyfriend and I could have this with dinner.

…and once cold, it just fell flat. Like it couldn’t decide whether to be juice or tea, so it tried to walk the line and failed. I am glad I only had a sample of this. It’s gone and I’m over it.

(P.S. If this sounds overly negative, please take with a large grain of salt. I had a rough day today and this bore the brunt of it, I’m afraid.)

Ninavampi

Hope that roughness is over! Tomorrow is always a new start and another opportunity to try a tea you will like more! : )