I liked this at the parameters I used initially, the ones recommended by thepuriTea. But Teavana’s steep parameters are slightly different, so I thought I’d give it a try just as an experiment. As I set the Breville it turns out that they think oolongs should go at 195 degrees, too, so hopefully this won’t be the mistake I think it will…

Steeped liquor is a lighter caramel color, and the scent is a little different this steep. I get mostly a roasted note that at times seems almost burnt (uh oh), but there’s a little fruity/peach/apricot hint hiding beneath all of it, so that’s encouraging.

As for the taste – I will say that peach is the foremost flavor here, followed by a roasted nut undertone and a tinge of astringence coming at the very end of the sip. But, the mouthfeel is a bit thinner than the cooler temp/longer steep that I tried originally, which pretty much seals the deal that I prefer the other parameters more.

This seems like it would be a very finicky tea to mess with if you didn’t a.)have something to do the work for you, or b.) weren’t that experienced with tea brewing. That said, when you do figure it out it is so worth it. Or, maybe I just like high maintenance things. :)

TeaBrat

So did you think it was better at the 195F?

JoonSusanna

I think both had their strengths but I really liked the thicker honeyed texture at 180F. This temp. would do better if I wanted to steep it then ice it because it’s gotten really fruity now that its cooled off.

Comments

TeaBrat

So did you think it was better at the 195F?

JoonSusanna

A few of my favorite teas (in no particular order):

*Dessert flavored blacks
*Breakfast blends
*Virtually any black tea (but lapsang/keemun!)
*Dancong oolong