Wow. I can’t decide which tea I like better: this or Santa’s secret. I actually wish David’s would come out with a version of this tea with a black tea base, but the world doesn’t revolve around me, much to my dismay.

The scent of this dry leaf is quite intoxicating. It smells fresh, cozy, and exactly of Christmas. The blast of cold of the mint, and if you inhale even deeper, the creamy presence of the white chocolate. I knew I wouldn’t like this plain, so I brewed it up with some cream and rock sugar. Sometimes, the smell of hot peppermint makes my stomach turn, and although my stomach contemplated it as I sniffed the steam rising from the cup, it somehow decided not to, thereby giving me permission to try the tea. It was thick, creamy, cold and hot—all at once. Hot because of the peppercorns and, you know, the fact that it’s a hot cup of tea, but cold because of that blast of peppermint. The white chocolate is less pronounced during the sip, although I think this is all but expected when in the presence of peppermint, which is loud and demanding in comparison. Nonetheless, the white chocolate, while not necessarily tasting distinctly of white chocolate, lends the entire composition a creamy, thick feeling (no doubt enhanced by my sugar and cream), and the whole thing made for a wonderfully comforting and satisfying cup. I am certainly going to finish the sample bag, and will very likely be picking up some more, as we don’t yet know if this one will be making a come-back next winter. The only thing that’s disappointing about any of dt’s teas is the fact that I need to use a ton of leaf to get a satisfactory amount of flavour, but given that it’s local and I don’t need to pay shipping, I’m down with that. Oh, and as for the oily surface and the green bits in the cup, I have no comment! ;). Call it a perk of being blind, I guess.

-steeped a medium cup (8 oz) for five minutes
-one perfect David’s teaspoon
-usual amount of sugar and cream

Well, it’s been slightly over six months since I’ve joined steepster, and I can’t say enough wonderful things about this community. Like many of you, I began my foray into the world of loose-leaf tea by discovering David’s Tea, and although I’ve ventured out and have discovered many other companies that I’m extremely fond of, there are still many of David’s teas that I hold close to my heart and I will always appreciate it as a starting point for my journey.

As for my preferences, I tend to prefer bold black tea, flavoured and unflavoured alike, and I almost always take my blacks with cream and sugar. This isn’t to say that I don’t enjoy a good, flavoured white though, and I’m slowly making my way through the incredibly confusing world of oolongs and greens. I am also not a fan of rooibos, although I am starting to suspect green rooibos may be ok, but you know how it is: when you’ve decided you detest a certain ingredient, you’ll notice it everywhere—perhaps even where it doesn’t exist!

Things other than tea: I’m engaged to be married to my best friend, and feel like the richest woman on the planet because of it. I am also a veracious reader, and I also happen to have an obsession with fragrances, and have amassed quite a collection, although it pales in comparison to some collections out there! As a result of this obsession, I also follow several fragrance blogs, and am always up for a chat about scent. I’m also almost completely blind, and this does indeed mean that I come complete with a guide dog, who unlike me, hales from the sunny California campus of Guide dogs for the Blind. I think I’ve rambled on long enough, but if there’s anything you’d like to know or if you just feel like chatting to someone, please don’t hesitate to send me a message.

Ontario, Canada