This sample came to me via the 12 days of Christmas, but due to a mailing mix-up, I got my package a bit late. It wasn’t ultimately of too much consequence though, because although i wanted to play along with everyone else, I wouldn’t have known which tea I was opening until I came here and read reviews, and then I would have to then look up the brewing instructions and it all just seemed far too complicated for such a simple mind.

But thankfully, a friend of mine helped me pick this one out yesterday, and I brewed up a cup for Mr. Keychange and I today. Dry, this leaf smells identical to the banana-flavoured penicillin we were fed as children, and people either loved or abhorred it-I have yet to meet anyone who feels neutral about its taste (it’s one of those polarizing things—sort of like olives—I challenge you to find me someone who could ‘take ’em or leave ’em’.) LOL.

I brewed this up for four minutes, and there was a huge banana chunk in the mix, which I righteously divided between our cups to ensure maximum banana-ness all round. I knew from the way that it smelled that if it tasted that way, I would love it.

This tea absolutely has a dominant banana note, followed up by a hint of coconut which, in my opinion, serves to lend the composition a creamy backdrop, rather than take on any assertive characteristic. More dominant than the coconut, I would say, is the black tea base. My knowledge of the different types of black tea leaves much to be desired, but from what my untrained pallet could discern, the base was full-bodied, the slightest bit astringent, and was a bit malty. Not entirely unlike a relatively robust breakfast blend. Mr. Keychange, who does not like most banana flavoured things (because there’s too much banana in them) said that he enjoyed his cup as well, because it was like banana pudding only much more tolerable because it was in tea form. And I had to agree—I mean, I love banana flavoured everything, but certainly the fact that something has been rendered in tea form almost always makes pretty much everything more tolerable.

On an unrelated note, Mr. Keychange and I went with a few friends last night to see The Book Thief. We had both already read and enjoyed the book, and although i was a bit reluctant to watch the movie (because I’m always scared that it will upset my own interpretation of the book), but am so glad I went. The actors could not have done a better job, and as far as I’m concerned, they stuck pretty closely to the book. As the ominous and terrifying sound of the air-raid sirens filled the theater, followed by the sound of bombs being dropped as if they were handfuls of candy from the sky, Mr. Keychange and I instinctively reached for each other’s hand. It’s just so jarring sometimes, so far outside of my scope of comprehension or awareness. That we will never in our lifetime know even a fraction of that magnitude of fear. Very, very good movie and book.

TheTeaFairy

So touching that last paragraph…

keychange

Aww m glad I watched this one.

sounds like a great evening

keychange

<3 all of you! it was a great evening.

Comments

TheTeaFairy

So touching that last paragraph…

keychange

Aww m glad I watched this one.

sounds like a great evening

keychange

<3 all of you! it was a great evening.

Well, it’s been slightly over six months since I’ve joined steepster, and I can’t say enough wonderful things about this community. Like many of you, I began my foray into the world of loose-leaf tea by discovering David’s Tea, and although I’ve ventured out and have discovered many other companies that I’m extremely fond of, there are still many of David’s teas that I hold close to my heart and I will always appreciate it as a starting point for my journey.

As for my preferences, I tend to prefer bold black tea, flavoured and unflavoured alike, and I almost always take my blacks with cream and sugar. This isn’t to say that I don’t enjoy a good, flavoured white though, and I’m slowly making my way through the incredibly confusing world of oolongs and greens. I am also not a fan of rooibos, although I am starting to suspect green rooibos may be ok, but you know how it is: when you’ve decided you detest a certain ingredient, you’ll notice it everywhere—perhaps even where it doesn’t exist!

Things other than tea: I’m engaged to be married to my best friend, and feel like the richest woman on the planet because of it. I am also a veracious reader, and I also happen to have an obsession with fragrances, and have amassed quite a collection, although it pales in comparison to some collections out there! As a result of this obsession, I also follow several fragrance blogs, and am always up for a chat about scent. I’m also almost completely blind, and this does indeed mean that I come complete with a guide dog, who unlike me, hales from the sunny California campus of Guide dogs for the Blind. I think I’ve rambled on long enough, but if there’s anything you’d like to know or if you just feel like chatting to someone, please don’t hesitate to send me a message.

Ontario, Canada