drank Whisky White by DAVIDsTEA

Asked for a sample of this with my last online DT order and they obliged. So happy :) My store had been out of it FOREVER (ok, for a month?), and then it went to online-only/discontinued (it seems we were misled about the online-only teas remaining available online, as they seem to be discontinuing a bunch :().

Anyways.

I don’t know how long I ended up steeping this one for; I kept smelling it and it smelled kind of like hot water, so I just left the tea ball in longer. Perhaps 6-7 minutes? I only have enough for two cups of this, so didn’t want to screw the first time up.

Steeped (and cooled a fair bit, maybe to ~35C?), the scent is of sweet caramelly…. bananas? What? Did I grab the right glass? I do have Banana Oolong right next to it… but nope, right glass, and bananas is what I’m getting. Well, it’s better than hot water!

… Ok, you know what? This one does ACTUALLY taste kind of like alcohol! I admit I doubt I’ve ever had whiskey straight, as I dislike the flavour of alcohol in general, and if I choose to drink it, it’s usually covered up with various sweet flavours, but I’m definitely getting the sense that this might be similar to how whiskey actually tastes. To me, it tastes caramelly but not really sweet, per se, and although I saw the peach pieces with my own eyes, I’m definitely thinking banana as opposed to peach. I may have oversteeped it a tad, which is causing a teeny bit of bitterness to come out, or it’s possible that the blend just tastes like that; it suits the alcohol impression well. The aftertaste is definitely white tea, and wow does it ever work in this tea to create the impression of a relaxing alcoholic beverage!

So glad I tried this one! I don’t think I’d bother picking it up again because I wouldn’t want to accidently fall in love with it and have it completely discontinued, but I am happy to know what it tastes like and not have it remain a mystery!

Indigobloom

Do you have any left? Try steeping it for 30 seconds. I kid you not, it is amaaaazing that way :)

Kittenna

I have about a cup’s worth left. I will try to remember to give that a shot! What temperature?

Indigobloom

Temp varies per person. I prefer mine at around 92c or so but to each his own!

Comments

Indigobloom

Kittenna

Indigobloom

Temp varies per person. I prefer mine at around 92c or so but to each his own!

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.