Thank you so much LiberTEAS for giving me a sample of your cherished 52teas blend! I’m a huge tomato fan myself, and this tea sounded SO interesting! Perhaps if there are enough of us who swear to buy it, Frank will create another tomato-based tea??

Anyhow, onto the review. The dry tea smells like a slighty smokey, peppery black tea. I wasn’t expecting to smell too much else, so am not terribly surprised.

Steeped, the tea smells a bit smoky and peppery. Not much tomato or basil flavour apparent. Hmm, and it’s pretty much the same as that, flavour-wise. I’m not perceiving any basil flavour, nor tomato, despite intentionally putting in the large piece of sundried tomato that was in my pouch, and selecting out some basil flakes.

Ok, I just dug the steeped tomato out of the tea ball and chewed on it a bit – there’s some flavour left; perhaps a longer infusion would have helped, but I don’t think there’s enough left to have flavoured the whole cup. Eating the tomato chunk while drinking some of the tea helped a bit, but the chewing distracted me from paying enough attention to the flavour, haha.

Ok, so this was somewhat disappointing, but I think there’s real potential in a tomatoey tea! At least for my personal preference though, there would need to be a heck of a lot more tomato, as well as more basil. I still have a couple cups worth left, so might try adding some extra dried basil, and using some sundried tomatoes I have (although they are packed in oil, so that might be a tad gross).

(Alternately, was four minutes of steeping too long, and it made too much ‘tea flavour’ come out, masking the tomato?? There isn’t really any astringency/bitterness, so I thought I had done it correctly this time…)

LiberTEAS

I usually steep this one for three minutes. Did you add a pinch of salt? This helps bring out the tomato a bit. The basil is very subtle.

Azzrian

GOOD LORD this sounds AMAZING! The sad thing is they don’t sell it anymore right? So you find something so good and can’t get more OUCH! But oh wow to sample it would be devine!

Kittenna

Nooo! I forgot that you had recommended that! I’ll try that next time.

smartkitty

This tea log made me incredibly hungry. Oh man!

Comments

LiberTEAS

Azzrian

Kittenna

Nooo! I forgot that you had recommended that! I’ll try that next time.

smartkitty

This tea log made me incredibly hungry. Oh man!

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.