The dry tea smells sweet and… fruity?? Thinking that’s a cross-contamination issue, I don’t think this one should be fruity….

The aroma from the steeped cup is almost… metallic. You know, I think I got this scent from the Cherry Cheesecake Genmaicha too. I associate it with oversteeped green tea, I think? Yikes, hopefully I didn’t screw this one up. The marshmallow in the dry tea smelled soooo good. There is definitely a sweetness in the aroma too.

Ok, better than I was expecting. I can definitely taste the marshmallow, and it does taste like marshmallow to me. I’m not tasting any oversteeping, but I’m also not really getting the genmaicha flavour I was expecting. Granted, my only experience is with my ancient one and in restaurants, but I’m missing the delicious toastiness. I suppose, though, that there was considerably less rice in the dry tea for this one as opposed to the genmaicha I have in my cupboard. I imagine it would be tastier with more rice. Definitely not tasting fruitiness either, so either that was a misinterpretation by my nose, or another unrelated flavour.

You know, this one’s kind of growing on me. I can’t put my finger on what it reminds me of, and that’s annoying, but I am enjoying it. So glad it’s not oversteeped.

Thank you Amanda for expanding my 52teas horizons again!!

OH! I think I just figured out what it reminds me of. Toasted Walnut by DavidsTea! Except sweeter. Yes, I think the metallic scent reminded me of a badly oversteeped cup of Toasted Walnut, except that it didn’t translate to the flavour. This must be a sencha/green tea thing. Ah. I feel triumphant. Good job, brain :D

ETA: Second infusion smells immensely creamy/marshmallowy. YUM. Flavour similar. No more metallic aroma, there’s some more green tea coming out. This is quite good. I would probably purchase this tea if it was still available :D Love it. I can see why others like it.

ETA: Third infusion (3+ minutes/82C) is still sweet and marshmallowy. The teaball no longer had any lovely aromas after this infusion, so this is as far as I went, but that’s pretty impressive for a flavoured tea, IMO. I’m not kidding Frank, bring this one back!!! I want it!

DaisyChubb

I totally get that scent on both this tea and Toasted Walnut, I hear ya galpal

Comments

DaisyChubb

I totally get that scent on both this tea and Toasted Walnut, I hear ya galpal

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.