drank Pina Colada Honeybush by 52teas

:/ Not sure I should continue tasting the other two pina colada teas tonight, as I have a small fear that I’m going to be sick later. (And Azzrian, don’t worry, I tried the Adagio one of my own volition knowing it was bad, but a tea should never be this horrible.)

I had this one before and wrote a tasting note, but didn’t find it that great. Tonight, comparison-wise at least, it is fantastic. However, in terms of pina-colada flavour, I’m finding it a bit lacking. It’s a bit sweet, the honeybush base is definitely present, and I taste both pineapple and coconut, which is good, but something’s missing to make this into a low-cal replacement for a pina colada. Oh well.

Boiling 8 min or more
Azzrian

LOL you Pina away girl! hahaha its a pina night for you! :)

Azzrian

Hey Krystaleyn – this here: And Azzrian, don’t worry, I tried this of my own volition knowing it was bad, but a tea should never be this horrible.)
Is that supposed to be in the other review or this one?

Kittenna

I was writing the reviews sequentially and was referring to my previous one. I’ve made it a touch more clear now. I’m feeling a little queasy now, haha.

Poor thing – girl I should have tried to talk you out of it lol

Kittenna

It’s completely fine. I’m serious though, that I think there is something genuinely wrong with the batch that came from. There’s a difference between a tea being old or not suited to one’s preferences, even bitter/astringent. That one tasted like rotten vomit. And given that two of us feel that way…

LiberTEAS

Hopefully this tea tastes better than vomit.

Kittenna

Oh yes! The 52teas version is a perfectly fine honeybush; it’s just not cocktaily enough for me. The Adagio Pina Colada on the other hand…….

Comments

Azzrian

LOL you Pina away girl! hahaha its a pina night for you! :)

Azzrian

Is that supposed to be in the other review or this one?

Poor thing – girl I should have tried to talk you out of it lol

LiberTEAS

Hopefully this tea tastes better than vomit.

Kittenna

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.