drank Buttered Popcorn by 52teas

When I first brewed this up, I definitely got quite a buttery aroma from it. Unfortunately, I didn’t try it at all hot; I am drinking it cold because I accidentally took a rather long nap. Either way, I’m not finding it to taste at all like buttered popcorn, but it does taste like a decent black tea; a bit malty and flavourful. As in, one I’d drink straight, although it does have some astringency. I’m having a tough time locating the flavouring at all, really. Perhaps I’ll have better luck when I try the second cup of it. Not too worried though – this was just a tea I wanted to try out of curiousity (add another tick in that 52teas column!), so thanks CHAroma for indulging me!

noordelijk

You know what does taste like buttered popcorn? Or at least like the butter they put on top… davidstea’s milk oolong. You should try it if you’re looking for something like this!

Babble

You are reviewing all the 52 teas that I want to try. LOL.

Kittenna

Hahaha, this is because I went through someone’s cupboard selecting all the ones I haven’t tried!

noordelijk – I adore DavidsTea’s milk oolong, although it doesn’t come off to me like popcorn butter, but milky and delicious :)

CHAroma

I have had similar experiences with this one. Only one time did it really taste like buttered popcorn to me. Every other cup has been good, but like you said, just a decent black. Still, another one down!! Yeah!

Comments

noordelijk

Babble

You are reviewing all the 52 teas that I want to try. LOL.

Kittenna

CHAroma

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.