drank Toasted Marshmallow by DAVIDsTEA

Honestly, I’m not sure what I was expecting with this tea! Something good, for sure, but it occurred to me that I hadn’t really put much thought into what I’d expect a “toasted marshmallow” tea to taste like. Other than, delicious, sweet, burny, toasty marshmallow, of course!

Unfortunately though, this is just coming across as a rather sweet chai to me. I can definitely taste the distinct flavour of marshmallow, and beneath it a cohort of light chai spices. Spices don’t = toasted to me, and as the marshmallow flavour is of a raw, untoasted marshmallow, this tea doesn’t hit the mark implied by its name. That said, I’m enjoying it as a light chai, it just probably wouldn’t be a tea I’d go back to again – I’d probably prefer not to have the marshmallows in it and instead sweeten the tea myself if necessary.

ETA: Re-steeped today, in half the water and for who knows how long, and ended up with a watery, disappointing, chai-ish flavoured beverage. I hadn’t been expecting marshmallow, but thought there might be a bit more flavour. Guess this tea’s only really good for one infusion.

Daniel Scott

I wasn’t knocked over by this one either, and I’m unsure what the hullabaloo is about.

Kittenna

Yeah. I liked it well enough, but it was nothing special, and certainly didn’t taste like toasted marshmallows!

Lynne-tea

I was thinking of adding a pinch of lapsing souchong to it and see how that goes to develop a smoky aspect that I felt was lacking…

Kittenna

Clever! I should remember to try that next time :) I have enough for 1-2 cups left.

Kiaharii

I liked this one, definitely wasn’t toasted marshmallow flavored but I liked it. Haven’t done a review yet because I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention. This did not re-steep well at all, I do remember that.

Comments

Daniel Scott

Lynne-tea

Kiaharii

I have always been a tea fan (primarily herbals and Japanese greens/oolongs) but in the last year or so, tea has become increasingly more appealing as not only a delicious, calming drink, but as a relatively cheap, healthy reward or treat to give myself when I deserve something. I should clarify that, however; the reward is expanding my tea cupboard, not drinking tea – I place no restrictions on myself in terms of drinking anything from my cupboard as that would defeat my many goals!

My DavidsTea addiction was born in late 2011, despite having spent nearly a year intentionally avoiding their local mall location (but apparently it was just avoiding the inevitable!). I seem to have some desire to try every tea they’ve ever had, so much of my stash is from there, although I’ve recently branched out and ordered from numerous other companies.

I like to try and drink all my teas unaltered, as one of the main reasons I’m drinking tea other than for the flavour is to be healthy and increase my water intake without adding too many calories! I’ve found that the trick in this regard is to be very careful about steeping time, as most teas are quite pleasant to drink straight as long as they haven’t been oversteeped. However, I tend to be forgetful (particularly at work) when I don’t set a timer, resulting in a few horrors (The Earl’s Garden is not so pleasant after, say, 7+ minutes of steeping).

I’m currently trying to figure out which types of teas are my favourites. Herbals are no longer at the top; oolongs have thoroughly taken over that spot, with greens a reasonably close second. My preference is for straight versions of both, but I do love a good flavoured oolong (flavoured greens are really hit or miss for me). Herbals I do love iced/cold-brewed, but I drink few routinely (Mulberry Magic from DavidsTea being a notable exception). I’m learning to like straight black teas thanks to the chocolatey, malty, delicious Laoshan Black from Verdant Tea, and malty, caramelly flavoured blacks work for me, but I’m pretty picky about anything with astringency. Lately I’ve found red rooibos to be rather medicinal, which I dislike, but green rooibos and honeybush blends are tolerable. I haven’t explored pu’erh, mate, or guayasa a great deal (although I have a few options in my cupboard).

I’ve decided to institute a rating system so my ratings will be more consistent. Following the smiley/frowny faces Steepster gives us:

100: This tea is amazing and I will go out of my way to keep it in stock.

85-99: My core collection (or a tea that would be, if I was allowing myself to restock everything!) Teas I get cravings for, and drink often.

75-84: Good but not amazing; I might keep these in stock sparingly depending on current preferences.

67-74: Not bad, I’ll happily finish what I have but probably won’t ever buy it again as there’s likely something rated more highly that I prefer.

51-66: Drinkable and maybe has some aspect that I like, but not really worth picking up again.

34-50: Not for me, but I can see why others might like it. I’ll make it through the cup and maybe experiment with the rest to get rid of it.

0-33: It’s a struggle to get through the cup, if I do at all. I will not willingly consume this one again, and will attempt to get rid of the rest of the tea if I have any left.